Sunday, December 9, 2012

Olmert Concedes: Not My Time, This time Around


Former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is officially out of the race for Prime Minister. In a special interview on Ynet’s election broadcast, he explained why he opted out from running for Prime Minsiter as an alternative to Netanyahu in the upcoming elections. 

"I saw a (political) arena I didn’t like. Knesset members being auctioned off and in my camp there were other considerations that influenced my decision,” Olmert said.

He also accused Netanyahu for alienating the United Sates following the UN vote. “Israel is being ruled by a radical far-right leadership that is getting into a confrontation with the entire international community,” he said.

On Channel 2 News’ “Meet the Press” program, Olmert also responded to allegations by the Prime Minister’s Office that he has not missed an opportunity to attack Netanyahu in recent months.
"This is not a respectable claim,” said Olmert of the remarks made by the Prime Minister’s Office. "I make my opinion heard in Israel and abroad. That's what I have to do and I always do it with due respect to the prime minister."

"I think Israel conducted itself in an inappropriate manner, and that was indeed a slap in the face of the President of the United States," said Olmert. "The day after the United States opposed Abbas’s unilateral move at the UN, we decided to expand construction. This is misconduct that will isolate Israel in the whole world.”

The Likud responded to Olmert’s allegations, saying he is the last person who can preach to Netanyahu."Olmert, who incites against Israel around the world, who caused Hamas to rise to power when he supported the unilateral withdrawal from Gush Katif and who brought about the Goldstone Report, is the last one who can preach any morality to the prime minister," said a statement by the party issued on Saturday night.