Friday, December 14, 2012

Lieberman Steps Down To Settle Case Before Elections

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman announced Friday that he plans to resign from his position, following the Attorney General's decision to indict him on charges of fraud and breach of trust.

"Though I know I committed no crime... I have decided to resign my post as foreign minister and deputy prime minister," Mr Lieberman said in a statement released by his office

"Following 16 years of investigations against me, I will now be able to end this matter quickly and without delays, and finally clear my name. "I am doing this also because I believe that the citizens of Israel are entitled to go to the polls after the matter has been decided on, that is to say, that a legal ruling will be decided on before the elections and this way I will be able to continue to serve the state of Israel and its citizens as part of a strong, united leadership that would tackle the security, diplomatic, and economic challenges facing Israel," Lieberman said in the statement.

 Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with Lieberman on Friday, and told him that he hoped he would prove his innocence soon, and that he will quickly return to serving in a senior government position.  

Lieberman will remain number two on the Likud/Yisrael Beitenu list, and is expected to garner the sympathy vote while not serving as a cabinet Minister.