Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Livni: Female politicians must either be bitches or they're weak


Female political leaders are perceived either as bitches or weak, with no middle ground, Hatnuah Chairwoman Tzipi Livni said on Tuesday at an event in Haifa about the image of women in politics. 


"When you look at women in positions of leadership, the choice for women is either to be bitches or to be weak," Livni said. "When I started I was tougher, I don't want to say bitchy. It was hard for me to be open, to show sensitivity. I thought that this would be perceived as weakness."

Livni, a former foreign minister, said that when she entered politics "it seemed to me as if there was no difference between feminine and masculine leadership. When I understood how I was perceived, I realized that I should exert more power and show less openness."