Monday, November 21, 2011

Netanyahu: As long as I'm PM, Israel will remain exemplary democracy

(Ynet).Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has, for the first time addressed the criticism heaped on his government over the controversial bills introduced in the Knesset recently. He said:
"I was also raised on the teachings of Jabotinsky and Begin. So long as I'm prime minister, Israel will continue to be an exemplary democracy."

"No one will tell anyone what to think, what to write, what to investigate and what to broadcast... This is not the way of the Likud, or mine.. Yet freedom of expression needs to give a voice to all sectors in our nation. I know there is a will to fix the distortions of lack of expression and I am responsible for it being in a liberal spirit and responsibly, out of mutual respect. When I though there were bills that could hurt democracy I set them aside though they had a majority..."