Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gilad Shalit: I hope this deal promotes peace

In an interview to an Egyptian television network Gilad Shalit expressed his feelings on being released from Hamas captivity. "I hope this deal will promote peace," Shalit said


“It has been a very long five years. I always knew I would go home".

Gilad told the Egyptian media that he was informed a week ago he would be freed. “I was happy to hear it, but I was suspicious, I waited years, but I believed I would find myself free.”

He said the first thing he wants to do when he gets home is to “be with my family and meet my friends and speak with them. I want to tell people about my experience.”

Despite his having been in captivity without communication with the outside world for more than five years, Egyptian media asked him difficult and loaded questions.

Asked if the captivity and release gave him a stronger will, Shalit answered, “A deal could have been arranged sooner.”

Questioned whether he will help campaign for the release of “4,000 more Palestinian prisoners ‘languishing’ in Israeli jails,” Shalit reפlied: “I will be happy if they will be freed and return to their homes.”