Friday, October 28, 2011

Republican presidential hopefulls united in support of Israel

In an exclusive project, Israel Hayom talks to the leading candidates for the GOP nomination • Policies and promises in support of Israel, The only issue they're staunchly united.

Read all of the interviews at Israel Hayom newsletter website

On Moving US Embassy to Jerusalem

Rick Perry:
"If you want to work for the United States State Department under my administration, you’ll be living in Jerusalem. That’s as clear that I can make it. You’re the only country that I know of that has our embassy not in the capital city. I don’t get it."
Herman Cain:
"I would."
Mitt Romney:
"The actions that I will take will be actions recommended and supported by Israeli leaders. I don’t seek to take actions independent of what our allies think is best, and if Israel’s leaders thought that a move of that nature would be helpful to their efforts, then that’s something I’ll be inclined to do...my inclination is to follow the guidance of our ally Israel, as to where our facilities and embassies would exist."
Newt Gingrich:
"Every sovereign country has the authority to choose its own capital city...we need to respond to the Israeli request". And if the State Department objects? "If we need to replace everyone – we'll replace them..."
Michele Bachmann:
"The first thing that I would do is to move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem."
On US-Israel relationship:

Rick Perry:
"When I’m the president of the United States, no one in Israel will be wondering “if we’re invaded, if we’re threatened, where’s America going to be?” With me, they will know...when the prime minister of Israel comes to the White House, he will be treated with respect as the world leader that this individual is. They will not be brought in through the back door, or sit and wait as just another visitor to the White House. They will clearly be treated with the respect that the longest serving democracy, and our greatest friend in the Middle East deserves."
Mitt Romney:
"I believe that the role of an ally is to stand behind your friends and let them speak for themselves, rather than be spoken for by the United States of America. I believe our relationship with Israel, a nation which shares our values and is our best friend in the Middle East, should be of support and confidence rather than criticism and blame."
Herman Cain:
"In a Cain administration there would be no question in the minds of the world and the American people that we would stand with Israel. No question."
Newt Gingrich:
"I think that the Israeli nation's passion is very close to American values...We need to re-organize the discourse in the region, to change the language."
Michele Bachmann:
"I think that America has an interest of the highest order in everything related to its relationship with Israel, and that we are allies and partners in various ways. Israel is the Middle East's first and only democracy. Our religious backgrounds also unite us. I am a Christian, but I relate to my religious heritage as a Jew."

Read my full analysis on the Candidates stances,the promising and governing discourse Here: