Sunday, August 23, 2009

FM Lieberman predicts No Peace in the near Future; But wil not set red Lines for Netanyahu's efforts

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman offered a more somber prediction as to the fate of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process Sunday, at a press briefing held in Jerusalem.

"Despite giving everything, we were unable to strike peace 16 years after (the Oslo Accords). I'm willing to bet there won't be peace 16 years from now either, certainly not one based on the two-state solution," he said.

Lieberman argued that the peace process must be de-prioritized: "Some conflicts took many years to resolve...We have to improve the (Palestinians') state of the economy and security, but we can't create an illusion.

"Thinking we can have peace with the Palestinians within a year or two in unrealistic. (Former PM Ehud) Olmert and (Opposition Leader Tzipi) Livni couldn’t strike peace despite their offers. (Former PM Ariel) Sharon's government withdrew from Gush Katif and that didn’t bring peace. And didn’t (Defense Minister Ehud) Barak already offer everything in Camp David?"

Lieberman said that he would not impede the peace process: "We will not interfere in (US President Barack) Obama's efforts. I'm willing to give anyone who thinks they can find a diplomatic solution time to try.

"I don’t want to cause any problems with the US. I think that the prime minister really believes in the process and so I let him lead. It's not that I don’t want to reach a solution," he continued, "But I'm a realist. I hope I'm proven wrong and I will be the first to admit that."

When asked whether he will resign should Netanyahu decide to adhere to the American demand to halt settlement expansion, Lieberman said that "I'm not drawing any lines in the sand. I think that during a government's first year in office there shouldn’t be any such lines.

"We have to explore things and let others pursue moves they think have a chance to succeed. We joined a coalition with Labor, Shas, Habayit Hayehudi and the Likud and each party has its own way. I think this government will be able to reach a full term in office. I want to let the others have the chance to prove me wrong."

Turning his attention to the peace process with Syria, Lieberman said that "the important thing to understand is, that the thing that's holding (the process) back is the Golan Heights. Or maybe it isn’t. I can't rely only on what (Syrian President Bashar) Assad is saying.

"The Golan Heights are 464 sq. miles, on which some 20,000 Druze reside – hardly something pivotal for Syria," continued Lieberman. "The other thing is that Assad has clearly stated that he will not sever his ties with Iran and will not shut down Hamas and Jihad bureaus.

"What does he want – for us to give him the Golan Heights while he continues his ties with Iran and Hezbollah? Once we cede the Golan there will be no turning back. What I'm willing to do is offer Syria peace for peace."