Thursday, April 1, 2010

UK Conservative Leader David Cameron sides with Obama on E. Jerusalem

Despite calling himself a “Zionist” in 2007 in a speech at the annual event for the Conservative Friends of Israel association,the UK Conservative leader David Cameron argued that the boycott was unnecessary and incorrect; suggesting that criticism of Israel is often based upon an asserted underlying anti-Semitism .

“If by Zionist you mean that the Jews have the right to a homeland in Israel and the right to a country then I am a Zionist.”

In a Financial times interview this week he managed to cool down that impression, by siding with Obama's intensive pressure on Israel and keeping himself some pride by declaring E. jerusalem as occupied territory:

"...I have. Unlike a lot of politicians from Britain who visit Israel, when I went, I did stand in occupied East Jerusalem and actually referred to it as occupied East Jerusalem. The Foreign Office bod who was with me said, most ministers don’t dare say. So, yes, I thought I had quite an argument when I was in Israel with Tzipi Livni about settlements and I think Obama is right to take a robust line. I think we have to but it is depressing how little progress is being made right now..."