Monday, April 19, 2010

IN Exclusive interview on GMA (ABC) Netanyahu talks about US-Israel Relationship and his desire for Peace



I think with any family, with any relationship, the relationship of allies, even your relatives, you have ups and downs. You have disagreements. But I think this relationship between the United States of America and the people of Israel is rock solid. We … have a great … I would say a great conformity of interests and values that will … get us through this. And we'll try to work out the disagreements in a way that is commensurate with that spirit.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Final question, sir. You've likened the U.S.-Israel relationship at the top to a family. To a family that goes through ups and downs. What will it take for the U.S. and Israel to be one big happy family again? And when do you expect peace talks with the Palestinians to begin?

NETANYAHU: I hope as soon as possible. I've been calling for peace talks from day one. I extended my hand to the Palestinians. I've done all these things … that I told you. Gestures for peace. Stopping the road blocks. Calling for a two state solution I'm waiting and eager for them to come back.

If think they're not asked to put aside all preconditions and negotiate, they're not gonna do it. And I'm -- we've been talking to the United States. We've been talking -- I've been talking to the President. We've been talking through diplomatic channels. I hope that we can get this together.

But it should be clear that there's a bond between us that I think supersedes these questions. And I think the important thing is to use that bond to get all the enemies of peace and all the enemies of the United States to move back.

In fact there is a big contest in the area it's not merely here with the Palestinians. I think that's the minor part. And I think with good intentions, which we have-- and with the United States' assistance, we can get to peace. But there's a larger force of radical Islam that wants to eradicate peace. Wants to eradicate Israel. Wants to eradicate any American presence in the Middle East.

They hate America because of what America stands for. They'll stop America-- they'll stop hating America only when America stops being America. When it stops espousing a free society, pluralism, open debate. That's what they despise. And in fact they don't hate American because … of Israel. They hate Israel because of America. Because they see us as an outpost of that free, open civilization that you represent. And you know what? They're right.

And to the extent that the American-Israeli relationship is close, to that extent militant Islam recedes. To that extent everybody watching on the sidelines understand that our partnership, along with a moderate Arab states, will win out.

To the extent that we have risks -- they think otherwise. They … may think otherwise right now but they're wrong. That partnership is strong. Our quest for peace is strong. And we'll stand against these extremists and ultimately defeat them.

Read here Full Transcript of Interview with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu