Sunday, June 27, 2010

10,000 join Schalit family in 'Freedom March' to Jerusalem; Netanyahu: My Heart is with Gilad and his Family

As they set out on 11-day solidarity trek, captured soldier's family stands firm: "We won't go home without Gilad"; father calls on all Israelis to join procession to Netanyahu's residence.

An estimated 10,000 people have joined Schalit family's "Freedom March" that set out from the family home in Mitzpe Hila on Sunday morning.

"My heart is with Gilad Shalit and his family," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday morning as thousands of people began marching with the kidnapped soldier's relatives to Jerusalem from the northern community of Mitzpe Hila. Police officials estimated that 10,000 activists were taking part in the journey.

Speaking at the start of the weekly cabinet meeting, Netanyahu called on the international community "to stand up and work to implement our unequivocal demand to release Gilad Shalit.

"Friday marked the fourth anniversary of Gilad Shalit's abduction," he said. "My government and security elements are working continuously, in open and covert ways, to bring Gilad Shalit home safe and sound.

"I telephoned Noam Shalit (the captive's father) this morning and told him they were embarking on a long march. I invited him and his family to meet with me at my residents upon their arrival in Jerusalem. I told him, 'I know you are on a long journey. I would like to see you and I would be happy to meet with you," the prime minister said.