Monday, July 13, 2009

PM at Maccabiah opening ceremony: 'Come and be one of us, every day of the year'


"Our brothers and sisters from every continent, from North America, from Europe, from Africa, South America, from Asia and from Australia, you come here representing 65 different countries, but above all, you represent one united nation, the nation of Israel," Netanyahu told the athletes to loud applause.

"I thank you for coming, I thank you for participating, but I ask you to do one more thing. I ask that you make aliya, not just for the Maccabiah - come and be one of us, every day of the year."

"To those of you who haven't learned Hebrew yet," he continued, switching to English, "I say, welcome to Israel! This is your country, this is your home. So enjoy the games, and then come back and make aliya."