Friday, May 1, 2009

Barak: Netanyahu more mature, Lieberman more balanced

(Haaretz interview). "I think that the positions [Foreign Minister Avigdor] Lieberman is articulating behind closed doors are far more balanced and, I would say, more responsible than what some of his [public] declarations suggest," he says. It will not be surprising if the two of them enter into a conceptual cooperation in the government. Like Lieberman, Barak has stated that a presidential system must be implemented in the country.

Barak certainly envies Lieberman for the total control he exercises over his 14 Knesset pawns, which spare him confrontations with wayward types like Labor MKs Eitan Cabel and Shelly Yachimovich.

"Behind Lieberman are hundreds of thousands of voters who gave him 15 Knesset seats," Barak says. "Some of the people who are now with him were formerly my comrades. I served in the army with [Yitzhak] Aharonovitch, Sofa Landver was a member of Labor and Danny Ayalon was my political secretary and I promoted him." How do you feel about being part of a coalition government with Yisrael Beiteinu? Barak: "Their people and voters are absolutely fine, and Lieberman is a member of the same government of which I am a member and I respect him now."
What about Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, whom you once described as frightened and manipulative? How do you find him a decade later? "I find a more mature person, who understands that we are facing tremendous challenges. I will not say I find him agreeing with me on every detail, but I've found a deep understanding that we have a great responsibility to act - to lead and not be dragged after events."

Is he ready to take the steps that you have said you are willing to take? For example, he has declared that Israel will not return to the 1967 lines or evacuate the Golan Heights. "Look at what Menachem Begin said in the election campaign [of 1977] and what he did afterward; look at what [Yitzhak] Rabin said [in 1992] and what he did afterward; look at what Bibi [Benjamin] Netanyahu said 12 years ago and what he did afterward. Look at what I said and what I was ready to do. [Former Labor Party leader Amram] Mitzna did not enter the government of Ariel Sharon because Sharon told him that there is no difference between Netzarim [a former Gaza Strip settlement] and Tel Aviv, and look what happened afterward. I say, take only these examples and you will understand that Bibi has a hard choice to make: Does he want to be [Yitzhak] Shamir or Begin?" And your understanding is that he wants to be Begin? "Yes. There is deep understanding between us on the need to address the political issue and that it is impossible to leave things in a state of paralysis.