Monday, May 18, 2009

Transcript of press conference with President Obama and PM Netanyahu

Full transcript here

Major Points:
Obama:
*I have said from the outset that when it comes to my policies towards Israel and the Middle East, that Israel's security is paramount, and I repeated that to Prime Minister Netanyahu,It is in US national security interests to assure that Israel's security as a independent Jewish state is maintained.

One of the areas that we discussed is the deepening concern around the potential pursuit of a nuclear weapon by Iran; something that the prime minister has been very vocal in his concerns about, but is a concern that is shared by his countrymen and -women across the political spectrum,I indicated to him the view of our administration that Iran is a country of extraordinary history and extraordinary potential, that we want them be a full-fledged member of the international community and be in a position to provide opportunities and prosperity for their people, but that the way to achieve those goals is not through the pursuit of a nuclear weapon.

*I think Prime Minister Netanyahu has the benefit of having served as prime minister previously, he has both youth and wisdom.. and I think is in a position to achieve the security objectives of Israel, but also bring back historic peace..I'm confident that he's going to seize this moment and the United States is going to do everything we can to be constructive, effective partners in this process.

Netanyahu:
*I very much appreciate, Mr. President, your -- your firm commitment to ensure that Iran does not develop nuclear military capability, and also your statement that you're leaving all options on the table.

I share with you very much the desire to move the peace process forward. And I want to start peace negotiations with the Palestinians ,I would like to broaden the circle of peace to include others in the Arab world.

I want to make it clear that we don't want to govern the Palestinians. We want to live in peace with them. We want them to govern themselves absent a handful of powers that could endanger the state of Israel,And for this there has to be a clear goal. The goal has to be an end to conflict. There'll have to be compromises by Israelis and Palestinians alike. We're ready to do our share. We hope the Palestinians will do their share as well.

If we resume negotiations, as we plan to do, then I think that the Palestinians will have to recognize Israel as a Jewish state; will have to also enable Israel to have the means to defend itself,If those conditions are met -- Israel's security conditions are met, and there's recognition of Israel's legitimacy, then I think we can envision an arrangement where Palestinians and Israelis live side by side in dignity, security and in peace.

And I look forward, Mr. President, to working with you, a true friend of Israel, for the achievement of our common goals (ph), which are security, prosperity and above all peace.

*I think we're fortunate in having a leader like President Obama and a new government in Israel, and perhaps a new understanding in the Arab world that I haven't seen in my lifetime.

You are very kind to me calling me young, but I'm more than half a century old. And in my 59 years, in the life of the Jewish state, there's never been a time when Arabs and Israelis see a common threat the way we see it today, and also see the need to join together in working towards peace, while simultaneously defending ourselves against this common threat.