Sunday, March 29, 2009

Olmert:Netanyahu will lead his government to achievements

In his last weekly cabinet meeting this term, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert addressed the issues facing the incoming government of Benjamin Netanyahu, voicing hope that the new government will continue the path set out by his own administration.

"I hope that the new government will continue to advance the same important issues that this government dealt with, while believing and maintaining continuity of government," Olmert said at the start of the meeting.

Olmert will vacate his seat later this week as Netanyahu's government is sworn in on Tuesday.

The outgoing prime minister expressed certainty that Netanyahu's government will "do everything in its power to realize the life-long dream of the state of Israel ? happiness, joy and security for the citizens of Israel."

Olmert wished Netanyahu luck, saying "I have no doubt that he will lead the government to achievements."

"I can say one thing to Benjamin Netanyahu – when I was elected and sworn into Knesset he told me this was a difficult job.

"I know that now. To his fortune, he knows this from his first time in this position. I hope he leads the government to achievements and the State to the fulfillment of all of our dreams.

"He has the advantage that he's already been prime minister," the prime minister went on, "I wish him luck, and I have no doubt that he will lead the government to achievements."